Brightspace Pulse tips for Voiceover, or Screen Reader/text-to-speech application users?

Options

Hi AIG community,

Just wondering if anyone can offer some general tips for those who use voiceover/screenreader text-to-speech with Brightspace Pulse.

Thanks in advance! 😊

Answers

• Carin.H.549
    Options

Hi. I would love to hear about areas that need clarity so I could write good tips. I never wrote tips for Pulse, but maybe I should.

• Jamie.D.715
    Jamie.D.715 Posts: 10 🧭
    Options

Hi @Carin.H.549 - thanks so much! Was about to email the AIG list before realizing I could post on here just as well. 😁 A recent question we received is from a staff member helping a student who is using a mobile voice over or screen reader app with Pulse, and is having trouble getting it to re-read a course document multiple times on Pulse (rather than read it aloud just once). From what we can tell, none of Pulse's existing user settings should impact this, and this sounds more like a setting of the third-party text-to-speech app than a Brightspace Pulse issue, so we figured we'd look into D2L's Accessibility community for general tips in the meantime.

• Carin.H.549
    Options

So have they tried going through the rotor (iOS) or setting the granularity (talkback) so they could move by line, sentence or word or whatever so they can read smaller portions of the document? Depending on the size of the document, it might read in one swipe, but I would be surprised there would be no divisions in the document. But if you ask the screen reader to read in smaller portions, I would imagine that would allow you to move around.

• Jamie.D.715
    Jamie.D.715 Posts: 10 🧭
    Options

Thanks, @Carin.H.549 - the staff member is with another department (the Library) so we don't know yet what they've tried so far, but we're waiting to hear back more details about what device and app they're using, and will let you know as soon as more info is available.