Creator+ FAQ

Options
Joey.S.348
Joey.S.348 Posts: 28
edited September 2023 in Social Groups

We want you to get the most out of Creator+. This means getting you the information you need to keep building engaging courses. So, we created this FAQ page to address all your Creator+ questions in one place. If you’re looking for an answer or experiencing an issue, check here first!

This page will be updated regularly to address common questions from Creator+ users. Use the comment section if you’d like to clarify something or have a follow-up question.

General questions 

Where can I see examples of Creator+ features? 

We have a Creator+ course in the Brightspace Learning Center. The course is called Creator+ Instructional Design Best Practices. Here you’ll find modules on Insert Element, Practices, etc., with examples and best practices. 

Is there a free trial? 

Yes. Please visit Try Brightspace FREE for 30 days for an opportunity to see, learn, and try Creator+ for yourself. 

Is Creator+ mobile friendly? 

Yes. While there’s no separate app for Creator+, Creator+ tools and the authoring experience work well on mobile devices. 

What languages are supported? 

The tools and features in Creator+ will be in all supported languages that Brightspace currently supports. The Best Practices course is available in English, French, Spanish and Portuguese via Community. 

Admin-related questions 

Are admin docs available so that I can verify the recommended configs are set correctly/appropriately? 

Yes. See the Creator+ Administrator Documentation in Community for a Quick Start Guide and other resources. 

Does Creator+ work in the Classic Content View of Brightspace or just in Lessons view? 

It works in both. 

Can Insert Element, Practices, and Content Styler be enabled only for certain org units or roles? 

They can be enabled for specified org units via the config variable d2l.tools.creatorplus.IsEnabled. It cannot be enabled for specific roles. Any role with permissions to edit content can see these Creator+ tools. 

Will Creator+ limit the continued integration of other external learning tools, e.g., SCORM? 

No. You can continue to use SCORM objects, PDFs, PPTs, or any other content files created in other software technologies. 

Can you export content created in Creator+ out of Brightspace? 

Yes. Content created with elements, practices or stylized using the Content Styler can be exported as part of the course export process in your Brightspace course. 

Can I utilize Creator+ within my own template I have applied to specific courses within my D2L environment? 

Elements can be added to blank pages and Creator+ template pages for the time being. Please speak with your Customer Success Manager if this is insufficient. Practices can be added to any content topic. 

I have an old HTML Template from the Community but the Creator+ Elements don’t work. 

This will not work and you will need to develop your Creator+ content using the new Creator+ template. Unfortunately we cannot account for all kinds of different HTML templates so Creator+ tools were designed to be simple and work seamlessly with Content Styler and templates. There may be an option for clients to customize an old template to work with Creator+ tools, please talk with an LCS presales consultant to discuss any options. 

Insert Element 

Is Insert Element available in other tools or to learners? 

No. It is only available in Content and to roles that have content editing access. 

What is being inserted? An object of some sort? 

No, it is HTML with CSS. This ensures it is accessible and mobile friendly. 

Is Insert Element fully accessible?  

We are targeting WCAG 2.1 AA standard for both the editor and the Elements. Certain features may not adhere to this accessibility standard. 

How do you edit an inserted Element? 

You must select the object and choose the “Edit” icon to open the editing interface. You could also choose to edit some aspects of the elements through the code editor.  

Can I export content with Insert Element and have it imported into a non-Creator+ site? 

Yes. The object will look gorgeous, but only be editable via HTML code editors.  

Can I change the style of the Elements or colour? 

Yes. This is handled through the Content Styler set of features. 

Creator+ Practices 

Is there an option for learners to receive automatic feedback based on their interactions with Practices? 

Yes. Feedback can be customized for any Practice.  

Are the Practice scores captured and/or graded? Where does the data go for students through Practices? 

Not right now. Practices do not currently permanently store data for the learner. Their answers and results data will drop once the user unloads the topic in the browser or navigates to another page.  

Can Creator+ Practices be inserted into customized, in-house created HTML templates for Brightspace? 

Creator+ Practices can be inserted into all HTML content topics. 

If the learners come back to the Practice, can they see the responses previously stated? 

Not right now.