By Surekha Rao, Senior Manager - Product Management, Data and Analytics
Insights Report Builder allows you to create and personalize your reports and dashboards using the data available within Brightspace Data Sets (BDS). As the BDS evolves and changes over time, you can take advantage of these enhancements. Any changes to BDS will impact the Insights Report Builder, and you should be aware of those impacts to minor and major version changes.
With the January 20.23.01 release, updates to the following two Brightspace Data Sets will occur:
- Quiz Objects
- Removed: DisableRightClick
- Grade Objects
To understand the full details, you can read Motivations Behind The Changes In Data Hub Brightspace Data Set (BDS) Major Version 8.
What does this mean for my dataflows, reports, and dashboards inside Insights Report Builder?
Since the two Brightspace Data Sets defined above will be going through a major change, you will need to update the dataflows, reports, and dashboards you created that use those Data Sets. In addition, the Author users in the Insights Report Builder can only create dataflows and edit their dataflows, reports, and dashboards. Therefore, they will need to make the appropriate updates to the items they own.
To understand how these Data Sets will be impacting you:
1. Navigate to ‘Data’ in the top menu
2. Select ‘All DataSets’ within the left-hand navigation bar
3. Search for each BDS mentioned above (in this case, we searched for Quiz Objects)
4. Select the DataFlow, and once inside, navigate to ‘Lineage’ in the top secondary menu
5. Now the Lineage view will provide you with an understanding of all the dataflows, reports and dashboards you will need to update by pointing to the BDS version once it is available
6. Quick tip: Navigate through the tabs right column to understand the relationship between DataSets, DataFlows, Cards and Alerts
How do I update my dataflows, reports, and dashboards?
Now that you’ve understood the impact of the BDS change, you will need to make the appropriate changes to the items that your Author user owns for each of the Data Sets mentioned above.
Anything owned by the ‘d2lautomation’ user will be updated automatically.
Once the new BDS major version 8 becomes available, in our example Quiz Objects 8, you will need to make sure everything that is using Quiz Objects 7 is remapped to Quiz Objects 8. Anything mapped to the previous version will continue to function; however, no new data will be available.
1. To update your DataFlows, edit the impacted DataSet and select ‘Configuration.’ Then change the Input DataSet to the latest version.
2. To update your reports and dashboards, edit the impacted Cards and select the ‘Data’ section of the screen. Then select the new version of the DataSet.
Even though version 7 of these Brightspace Data Sets will be available for six months until July 2023, we encourage you to update your dataflows, reports, and dashboards inside Insights Report Builder as soon as possible to ensure everything runs smoothly in the future.
Version 7 has been available since the 20.21.10 (October 2021) release, and we expect you to no longer rely on Version 6 and below. Therefore, to ensure the upkeep of the health of our platform and maintain the data integrity, we will be deleting Brightspace Data Sets version 6 and below in the Insight Report Builder in March 2023. In addition, we will also delete corresponding Data Flows, Cards, Reports and Dashboards that use version 6 and below.
Related blog posts:
Motivations Behind The Changes In Data Hub Brightspace Data Set (BDS) Major Version 8
Impact Of Minor & Major Version Changes On Self-Serve Analytics
The Brightspace Data Sets Change Management Policy
- Learn about the Brightspace Data Set Major Version Release
- Identify the impacted Data Sets
- Analyze the impact of the Data Set changes in Insights Report Builder
- Update the Insights Report Builder