There are two different SCORM players used in Brightspace, and which player is used depends on how the SCORM package has been uploaded into the course:
- If you use the Add Existing > SCORM/xAPI workflow in the Content tool, the file plays on the new SCORM player.
- If you use the Import/Export/Copy Components tool to upload your SCORM as a content package, it plays through the legacy SCORM player.
If the SCORM is already in your course, you can go to Content and look at the icons in the Table of Contents to see which player they have been uploaded to.
Figure: The SCORM Object icon references a topic using the legacy SCORM player.
Figure: The Content Object icon references a topic using the new SCORM player.
The main differences between the SCORM players are:
- The legacy player is no longer supported whereas the new player is the Rustici engine, which is an industry standard.
- You can report on the new player through either Content Statistics or in Datahub, whereas the legacy player cannot be reported on in Datahub.
- The legacy player has no progress tracking (meaning you need to build this feature into your SCORM packages) whereas the new player has progress tracking in the player.
- Once a learner accesses a SCORM item in the legacy player, it is marked as Complete/Visited in course content. The new SCORM player requires a learner to fulfill the completion threshold built into the SCORM in order to show as complete within the Content tool in Brightspace. For example, they may have to achieve a passing score on the material.
Note: When using Course Builder, the icons are slightly different.
Figure: The icon used in legacy SCORM in Course Builder.
Figure: The icon used in the new SCORM in Course Builder.