By Natalie Deane, Product Manager, Brightspace Parent & Guardian (formerly Brightspace for Parents)
An updated Name
Based on client feedback and alignment to product vision the Product and Marketing teams began a journey over the past few months to change the Brightspace for Parents name to better represent the people supporting learners at home which is not always a parent. After research and much deliberation, we landed on the new name Brightspace Parent & Guardian which expands to include everyone supporting children at home.
What is Brightspace Parent & Guardian (formerly Brightspace for Parents)?
Brightspace Parent & Guardian, formerly Brightspace for Parents, is a part of the Brightspace Core package that provides insights into a learner’s activity due dates & progress along with activity feed to help parents and guardians keep on top of their child’s education.
- October 2021 – We have started the renaming process and expect to see the Mobile App name updated as soon as October or earlier. During that time you may start to notice changes to the App and public assets like the D2L.com website, marketing resources and sales assets, blog posts and webinars. These should be completed by December. Brightspace documentation will pick up the new name as part of the October release (20.21.10).
- December 2021 – We are planning to update the references to Parent within the product in Brightspace with the December release (20.21.12). Existing customers and users can continue to use the product without interruption.
- January 2022 and beyond – ‘Brightspace Parent & Guardian’ will be the only product name visible across all D2L assets and within the product. ‘Brightspace for Parents’ will no longer be used.
Other things you should know:
- This is only a name change and will not impact your use of the product.
- Parents or Guardians who have already downloaded the App will see the latest name as part of their next update to the latest version
- With the December release, you will notice changes within documentation and community pages as part of our planned updates. Existing customers can continue to use, search, and find relevant content and assets.
- With the December release, Administrators will see changes to tool names and permission titles to reflect the new name. Configuration Variables titles, API calls or IPSIS CSV column headers where the parent is referenced are not expected to change. This allows customers to continue with existing automation with no impact.
- Community articles will support both searches for ‘Brightspace Parent & Guardian’ and ‘Brightspace for Parents’.
- Admins who created custom links may wish to plan updates to the custom link language used in their system to correspond with the product update