Originally created: April 1, 2020
With this workflow, create a new Project and YouTubeV3 API Key in the Google Developers Console and add the YouTube key to Brightspace.
Please note that these screen captures are valid only for the current date (April 1, 2020) as Google may change their steps at any time. D2L is not responsible for maintaining the instructions listed below.
1. Go to the Google Developer Console as a Google Domain Admin.
2. Click Create Project.
Figure: Click Create Project in the Google Developer Console.
3. Enter a Project Name (for example: YouTube2023) and select your location as your Google App Domain. Then click Create.
Figure: After entering your project name and location, click Create.
4. When the new project is created, click View.
Figure: Click View after creating your project.
5. Click Go to APIs overview.
Figure: Click Go to APIs overview after viewing your project.
6. Click ENABLE APIS AND SERVICES.
Figure: Click ENABLE APIS AND SERVICES.
7. In the Search field, search for YouTube, add the YouTube Data API v3, and enable the API.
Figure: Search for YouTube to add the YouTube Data API v3. Then, enable the API.
8. Click CREATE CREDENTIALS.
Figure: Click CREATE CREDENTIALS.
9. Select the following when prompted with these questions:
- Which API are you using? > YouTube Data API v3
- What data will you be accessing? > Public data
Then click What credentials do I need? to generate credentials.
Figure: Select the details of your project to begin creating credentials.
10. Click Done.
Figure: Click Done after receiving your API key.
11. Select API key 1 to add restrictions.
Figure: Select API key 1 to add restrictions.
12. Add the restrictions for HTTP Referrers (web sites), Website restrictions, and API restrictions use to only YouTube Data API v3. Then, click Save.
Note: This process can take up to five minutes.
Figure: Add your restrictions and click Save.
13. When your restrictions are added, the API key 1 turns green.
Figure: The API key 1 becomes green when your restrictions are added.
14. Log in to Brightspace as an administrator.
15. Navigate to Admin Tools > Config Variable Browser > Tools > MediaIntegration > YouTubeApiKey and add the API key 1 that you generated to both key fields.
Resources and additional information