The Integration Pack for Student Information Systems (IPSIS) platform is an integration platform in Brightspace that provides a user interface to allow you to import information from your organization's information system to Brightspace.
Once that information is imported into Brightspace, you can continue to update your information system and import that information to Brightspace using the IPSIS platform.
IPSIS platform is the core business rules management layer controlling interactions with Learning Platform and Brightspace. It also provides the framework used by the IPSIS Administration interface, IPSIS Section Associations interface and any implemented Adapters.
The IPSIS platform consists of:
- Extensibility layer: A collection of extensible handler interfaces is included with the platform. Each of these interfaces enables configuration and extensibility for actions against Learning Platform and Brightspace. For example, Create User or Delete Course.
- Handler implementations: Implementations of the extensible handler interfaces are referred to as handlers. These provide the configurable and extensible business rule implementations.
- Bulk Background Service: The bulk background service performs any processing of bulk integration jobs, and initiates reports back to the SIS when necessary.
- Enrollment Background Service: The enrollment service performs any enrollment updates against Brightspace that are initiated outside of a standard enrollment request. For example, when two Offerings are merged in IPSIS Section Association, the enrollments are synchronized and propagated by the Enrollment Service.
Figure: An overview of the relationships between an SIS, a source system, and the IPSIS platform in Brightspace
CSV File: A text-based file that approximates a table of data through the use of commas to separate columns. In such files, a value in any one column must not have a comma as part of the text.
SFTP: A method of uploading or downloading files to a server through an encrypted channel. You will be provided with the credentials once you create your integration.
Org Unit: The standard building block of Brightspace. Org Units are organized into an Org Structure, and can consist of multiple Org Unit Types (for example, Department, Semester, or Course Offering). Each Org Unit has an Org Unit Code used to identify it between IPSIS and your SIS.
Supported information systems
The IPSIS platform integrates with the following common types of information systems:
- Student Information Systems (SIS): used by educational organizations to manage students, courses, and enrollments.
- Human Resource Systems (HRIS): used by corporate organizations to manage employees and their data.
- Learner Information Systems (LIS): used by educational organizations to manage the registration of student enrollments.
Supported source systems
The IPSIS platform integrates student information systems (SIS) with Brightspace using various source systems. A source system can come in the form of standardized specifications. The following source systems are an example of some supported by the IPSIS platform:
- D2L Standard CSV: integrates with SIS/HRIS systems by using a standard Comma-Separated Value (CSV) file created by D2L.
- Ellucian ILP: integrates with Banner or Colleague systems, based on LIS specifications.
- OneRoster: an IMS Global Learning Consortium specification created for securely sharing class rosters and related data between K12 student information systems (SIS) and Learning management systems such as Brightspace.
- OneRoster CSV: Supports spreadsheet-style (CSV) export-import actions. With OneRoster, schools pave the way for digital resources for teaching and learning and eliminate problems before they happen.
- OneRoster REST: Supports direct system exchanges using REST API’s.
- LIS v2.0 Adapter: integrates with information systems that support the IMS Global Learning Consortium's LIS specification.
The IPSIS user interface in Brightspace
You can administer IPSIS integration with an SIS directly from Brightspace. These tools are available from the Admin Tools menu in Brightspace:
- IPSIS Administration: an interface in Brightspace used for configuring and reviewing the status of SIS integrations with Brightspace.
Important: There are two versions of IPSIS Administration:
- IPSIS Section Association: an interface in Brightspace used to manually manipulate relationships between enrollable courses or sections in an SIS and course offerings in Brightspace. Refer to the About the IPSIS Section Association topic for details.