You can combine multiple course offerings into a single course by merging the course offerings. Merging course offerings moves all enrollments from one course offering to the destination course offering. The original course section becomes a new course section with the same name/code (different OrgUnitID) and becomes associated with the destination course offering parent.
Note the following:
- By default, the IPSIS Section Association wizard prompts you to delete the original course offering. If deleted, the original course offering is sent to the recycle bin. If it is not deleted, there are 2 versions of the same course offering. The original course offering will have no section associated with it and no student enrollments. The user (instructor/student) will be enrolled in the destination course offering only and not the original course offering.
- By default, merging course offerings deletes the course offerings and section associations that are no longer required.
- If an instructor was enrolled into the original course offering before the section association occurred, they can still be enrolled into the course, if it's not deleted. This is the preferred and most comprehensive course merging option.
- To access and use the IPSIS Section Association interface, the following IPSIS Section Association permissions (at the organization level) are required: Create Any Section Associations, Delete Any Section Associations, Edit Any Section Associations, View Any Section Associations, View Any Grades for SIS Option on Associations, and Edit Any Grades for SIS Option on Associations.
Figure: The IPSIS Section Association interface
To merge courses using the IPSIS Section Association interface
- From the Admin Tools menu, click IPSIS Section Association.
- From the Filters panel, under Search Area, click Course Offering.
- Review the filters in the panel and make any necessary adjustments, for example, choose All under Status.
- In the Search For field, enter the course offering name(s) that you want to merge with another course offering.
- On the search results page, do one of the following:
- From the context menu of the course code, click Merge Course Offering. On the Merge Course Offering page, compile course offerings you want to merge by clicking Add Course Offering.
- If the course offerings you want to merge display on the same search results page, select the check boxes and click Merge Course Offering.
- From the Destination Course Offering list, select Create a New Course Offering.
- Click Go.
- Click Next.
- Review your changes and click Confirm.
- Click Done.