Learning Tools Interoperability® (LTI®) is an integration that allows Brightspace to connect with external learning tools easily and securely. The connection supports Brightspace by passing information in a standards-based way to the tool. These include the role of that user (learner or instructor) and the course where they launched the tool from (for example, Biology versus Creative Writing). It can create user accounts in the tool upon launch as well, acting as both a registration and single sign-on in one easy workflow. Additionally, LTI Advantage supports grade return from your LTI tool to Brightspace gradebook. The LTI Advantage standard is large and covers many areas. D2L doesn't yet comply with all aspects of the standard, but is committed to ongoing support and innovation.
LTI Advantage (1.3)
LTI Advantage is now the only version of LTI supported by IMS. LTI Advantage consists of a launch protocol and a package of optional extensions:
- Launch: The LTI 1.3 core launch flow follows a more modern security approach by adopting OpenId Connect (OIDC) specifications, OAuth2 and JSON Web Tokens.
- Assignment and Grades Services v2.0 (AGS): A replacement for the Basic Outcome service. AGS allows the LTI tool to create and manage grade objects and exchange scores and instructor comments. AGS includes additional capabilities two-way gradebook integration, where the LTI tool can request updates to grade values linked to the tools Assignments; allowing the Brightspace gradebook and tool to stay in sync.
- Names and Roles Provisioning Services v2.0: The service that allows the LTI tool to request a list of participants in a course offering in a safe and secure fashion. Typically used to repopulate the classlist in the external tool.
- Deep Linking 2.0: A replacement for Content Item Message (CIM) service. Provides an intuitive way to add specific content from a publisher directly into Brightspace content, creating a seamless learner experience.
What is LTI Advantage vs LTI Advantage Complete?
The LTI Advantage badge is awarded by IMS Global when a tool certifies their integration against the IMS certification suite using LTI 1.3 and one or two of the available extensions. If the certification is completed with LTI 1.3 and all optional tool extensions, the LTI Advantage Complete badge is awarded.
LTI Advantage (1.3) advantages
LTI Advantage includes many great new features that are improvements against earlier LTI versions:
Getting Started with LTI Advantage (1.3)
- Familiarize yourself with LTI Advantage:
- Review your institution's LTI tools and their compatibility with LTI Advantage (1.3). All tools must move to LTI Advantage to keep their IMS LTI compliance.
- Determine what in-house tools your institution has that are not LTI Advantage certified and what is needed to get them there.