The following sections describe how to initially set up and configure D2L Standard CSV integration. You must complete these tasks before you can use the D2L Standard CSV integration to import information from your SIS to Brightspace.
Before you begin
Once you have completed adding D2L Standard CSV integration to IPSIS Administration, do the following:
Add D2L Standard CSV integration to IPSIS Administration
Once you have completed initial set up of IPSIS Platform, you can add the D2L Standard CSV source system to IPSIS Administration. When you initially set up the D2L Standard CSV integration from IPSIS Administration, you can choose how you want the SIS to work with Brightspace using the options available from the Configure Your Integration step.
Note: After initially configuring the integration, you can change the configuration options as needed. From IPSIS Administration, click D2L Standard CSV, and then click the Configuration tab.
Select D2L Standard CSV as your SIS
The first step is select which SIS source system you wish to add.
To select your SIS
From your organization home page, click Admin Tools.
Under SIS Integration, click IPSIS Administration.
Click Add SIS.
Under Select System Type, select D2L Standard CSV.
Figure: The Select your SIS page with D2L Standard CSV selected.
Name and configure your source system
Next, you must name your SIS and configure how your SIS manages changes made in Brightspace.
To name configure your source system
Under Source System, enter an SIS name.
Under Overwriting Brightspace, specify if you want to allow the SIS to overwrite changes in Brightspace:
Figure: The Source System section of the Configure Your Integration page.
- Sometimes: Select specific people, enrollment, course, section, department, semester, and other org unit fields that you want to allow the SIS to overwrite in Brightspace.
Map SIS role names to Brightspace roles
The next section of the Configure Your Integration page enables you to map role names that exists in your SIS to corresponding user role names in Brightspace.
Note: Instructor and Learner roles are included by default; however, you can choose to delete them.
Figure: The People section of the Configure Your Integration page.
To map user roles
Under People, click the dropdown under Brightspace Role to select from existing roles.
If desired, click + Add Role to add additional SIS role names to map to Brightspace roles.
Under Deletion, specify how a DELETE command in the SIS updates a user's profile in Brightspace. Available options include:
- Do nothing: The user mapping is deleted from IPSIS mappings, but the user remains unchanged in Brightspace.
- Inactivate that user in Brightspace: The user mapping is deleted from IPSIS mappings and the user is marked inactive in Brightspace.
- Delete the user from Brightspace: The user mapping is deleted from IPSIS mappings and the user is deleted from Brightspace.
Important: When a user is deleted in Brightspace, that user's user progress is lost.
- Under Map SIS Entries to Existing Users, do the following:
- If you want to map SIS user role names to existing Brightspace users, select Attempt to link SIS entries to users already in Brightspace and select either Usernameor Org-defined ID.
Map SIS groups to Brightspace Org Unit types
The next step in Configuring Your Integration is to map SIS Group names to Brightspace Org Unit type names. For example, Course Offering in your SIS is mapped to CourseOffering in Brightspace. This is managed from the Courses and Sections area.
Figure: The Courses and Sections area of the Configure Your Integration page.
To map SIS group names to Brightspace Org Unit type names
Under Courses and Sections, click the dropdown under Brightspace Org Unit Type to select from existing Org Unit Types in Brightspace.
If desired, click + Add Org Unit Typeto add additional SIS group names to map to Brightspace org unit type names.
Note: Department and Semester group names are included by default. However, you can choose to delete them.
Under Deletion, specify what happens in Brightspace when a course or section is deleted in the SIS:
Inactivate course offerings, do nothing to sections
Delete the course or section from Brightspace
Note: When a course or section is deleted, enrollments in that course or section will also be deleted.
The IPSIS D2L standard CSV Delete function, when configured to set Org Units as Inactive, successfully sets course offerings to Inactive after all section children have been deleted.
Under Map SIS entries to courses and sections, specify if you want the integration to map the following types of Brightspace org units to their SIS equivalents using org unit codes:
- Course Offerings
- Course Templates
Note: If mappings are turned off, duplicates may be created.
- Under Course Content, specify whether to copy course content from a master course or a course template to a newly created course. Select from the following:
Map SIS Departments, Semesters and Other Org Units to Brightspace
The final step in Configure Your Integration is to map SIS Departments, Semesters, and other Org Units to Brightspace.
Figure: The Departments, Semesters and Other Org Units section of the Configure Your Integration page.
To map SIS entries to existing org units
From the Departments, Semesters and Other Org Units section, under Map SIS entries to existing org units specify if the integration should attempt to map the following types of Brightspace org units to their SIS equivalents using org unit codes:
Click Create Source System to move to the next step.
Generate SFTP credentials
To ensure the secure transfer of information in your SIS to Brightspace, the D2L Standard CSV integration allows you to create an SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) site, a method for uploading and downloading your CSV files to a server through an encrypted channel.
Note the following:
- SFTP sites are optional and can be created after setting up the D2L Standard CSV integration. From the IPSIS Administration, select the D2L Standard CSV integration and click the Configuration tab.
- Each source system has its own unique SFTP credentials that are provided when you set up your integration.
- D2L recommends generating a new password when you initially create your source system.
To generate SFTP credentials
- From the Generate SFTP Credentials page, click Create SFTP Site.
Figure: The Create SFTP Site button of the Generate SFTP Credentials page.
- Make note of the generated Address and Username and store them in a secure location.
- Click Generate Password.
- Make note of the password and store it in a secure location.
Note: Once the page has been saved, the password is hidden and not recoverable. Passwords can be regenerated. SFTP credentials must be updated when transferring a zip file to the SFTP.
- Click Done.
Set up email notifications for D2L Standard CSV processing jobs
You can set up an email notification to alert you each time the D2L Standard CSV integration processes a job from the SIS.
Note the following:
- D2L recommends using email notifications instead of SMS, as the email contains more details about the SIS run (successes, failures, and summary). The SMS message only states that a job ran.
- Emails are delivered from the Notification Email setup for your environment. If you are having trouble receiving the email and have verified your email address is correct, D2L recommends contacting D2L Support for assistance verifying that your environment is properly set up for email. You may need to check your junk folder for the email, depending on your mail provider.
To set up email notifications
- From the navbar, click your user profile icon, and select Notifications.
- Under Contact Methods > Email Address, ensure your email address is listed.
- Under Instant Notifications > IPSIS Platform - Batch Summary Completion, enable the Email checkbox.