As a product in the Integration Pack for Information Systems (IPSIS) platform, D2L Standard CSV is used for integrating with SIS/HRIS systems by using simple, D2L-defined Comma-Separated Value (CSV) files that extract data from the information system and import it into Brightspace. These CSV files are text-based files that approximate tables of data in the information system through the use of commas to separate columns. In these files, a value in any one column must not have a comma as part of the text.
D2L Standard CSV is one of the many information system integration options that are commonly used by D2L clients to load and manage courses, semesters, users, and enrollments from their information systems into Brightspace through a collection of CSV files and some level of automation.
D2L Standard CSV 2.1 is the latest major version in the D2L family of CSV source system options in the IPSIS platform.
The following previous CSV source systems are considered legacy solutions or older versions of the file format for D2L Standard CSV:
- IPSIS Integration 1.0 (legacy)
- Standard CSV (legacy)
- D2L Standard CSV 1.0 and 1.1 (older versions of the CSV file format)
For more information about the each version of D2L Standard CSV and their capabilities, see the IPSIS - Legacy CSV To D2L Standard CSV - Versions, Migrations And Capabilities blog post.
Before you use D2L Standard CSV
Before you start using D2L Standard CSV, note the following important information and expectations:
- Access to the data in your information system is required to create extract files used for the import process.
- Some information systems have built-in integrations and data export mechanisms that you can use to import data into Brightspace. D2L strongly recommends reading the information system's documentation before using, and then contacting your information system provider to seek guidance on best practices for extracting the required data into the necessary CSV file format.
- When a feature is added to D2L Standard CSV that results in a breaking change to the file format, D2L releases the change by increasing the manifest version, indicated in the Manifest.json file. Currently, D2L Standard CSV supports version 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 2.1.
- After you consult with your D2L Implementation Consultant, D2L Standard CSV is considered a self-serve tool where you create the extract files and transfer them to Brightspace.
- The D2L Standard CSV documentation describes the required format of each file for use with SFTP and drag-and-drop. It also describes the results of each action or command you send in the CSV files.
- A manifest is required when using version 1.1 or higher of D2L Standard CSV. The manifest is a JSON file that announces the version of D2L Standard CSV you are using.